Sunday 16 March 2014

Mudlarking about

I thought I would show you our Mudlarking finds.  It really is the most fun you can have in the city.  We only spent about 15 minutes and managed to pick up this fabulous booty.


 This was my prize find.  These roof tiles are from the Medieval period.  If you manage to find them with black around the holes, then you can date them exactly to the Great Fire of London of 1666.
 We picked up some great pottery.
 ....  and some lovely rusty nails from the boat building that took part on the side of the Thames.
 ... and some great pieces of clay pipes.  These were sold already filled with tobacco so were like cigarettes and therefore disposable - which is why so many can be found.

You might be interested in reading a bit more about mudlarking HERE  and HERE  and if you ever get chance, give it a go.

10 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Love the big nails di

greenthumb said...

Love the look of your finds.

Unknown said...

Lovely finds Diane. Have you got plans for them? I wonder what you will do with them. Love the blue pieces. X

Gilly said...

Fantastic finds, Diane! Wish I could join in! Its amazing how stuff from such early times is still around. I wonder what we will leave for our future generations to find? Plastic, probably!

topchelseagirl said...

My Dad said they used to go for days out at those 'beaches' by The Thames when they were children.

Curtise said...

What a great thing to do, I would love it. Can't believe that roof tile dates back to 1666, how brilliant is that?! xxx

Mac n' Janet said...

Can't wait to do some mudlarking of our own when we're in London this summer. Love your finds.

Rosie said...

Great finds, Diane - I love the pieces of blue and white pottery and all those pieces of clay pipe stems:)

Lyn said...

It's now on my list! Xxx

A garden just outside Venice said...

Love the pottery!
xxx