Sunday 19 August 2012

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Why have I never been to Newcastle Upon Tyne before?  I honestly don't know, but I tell you what, I shall be going back for a better look pretty soon.  I have had reason to be in this utterly gorgeous northern city this weekend.  I didn't expect it to be so beautiful.

 Grey Street is an outstanding Georgian Street.  I was awestruck by its magnificence and also the steepness of it as it curves and sweeps down towards the river Tyne.

 The architecture is breathtaking.
 The statue of Earl Grey stands at the top of this magnificent street.
 They had a big screen at the head of Grey Street - look who I snapped !
 As well as the normal High Street shops, the "Toon" has some pretty arcades,

 and fabulous markets.
 People were paying 30p to be weighed in here.  I believe the Hairy Bikers have features this on their TV series recently.

 I also loved the river and Quayside, but I didn't get very long to explore much.
 After a delicious meal, I was whisked to the Theatre Royal to see Sister Act - which I can highly recommend.  It had us dancing in the aisles.

 Then it was back to our hotel to freshen up, doll up and gad about.  The purpose of my visit was to attend my god son's girlfriends hen night!! Seven of us aged from 24 years -65 years (3 oldies (the nanan's), 3 young ones(the hotties) and me (the inbetweener) danced and drank and ate cheesy chips in the street till the wee hours. In fairness I have to say that the nanan's and the inbetweener had far more stamina and staying power than the hotties!!
But Newcastle has charmed me and I am planning a return visit to take a better look at this gorgeous, historical, ultra friendly and up beat city.  

25 comments:

Curtise said...

It's a fabulous city. Grey Street is really beautiful, and I love the winking eye bridge over the Tyne.
It seems we are following each other again as I will be up there for the Bank Holiday (my sister lives in Tynemouth, the coast is wonderful too.)
Sounds like you had a proper Geordie night out, drinking till the small hours, but were you wearing the requisite short skirt and sky-high heels?! xxxxx

John Going Gently said...

you should work for the UK tourist board x

John Going Gently said...

you should work for the UK tourist board x

Blueberry Heart said...

eeeh bliddy nora, you've been up my neck o' the woods!! Geet chuffed as owt ye all had a smashin' time and me fellow geordies wor geet friendly!! 10 oot of 10 for ye stayin' power an' all - ah cannit dee it these days!! (hope your ear is still tuned to the Geordie vernacular)
BH x

Mister D said...

Fantastic city fantastic review

Lx @ Twelve said...

Fabulous Mrs!

Lx

ChrisJ said...

I have never been to New Castle, but it does look like a beautiful city. I've had several friends from there and I love the accent!

BadPenny said...

The Hen Party sounds such fun !
You show me all these places I've never been too either ! Lovely

greenthumb said...

Such fun, what a lovely town.

Rosie said...

It all looks wonderful, I remember walking down that street, such a long time ago now, when we went up there to the National Garden Festival. Must have been over twenty years ago. Glad you had a super weekend:)

Nic B said...

Looks great....tried to get there for my 40th,but never came off!! Still on my to do list!! Looks like you had a great time!x

rusty duck said...

Ah, this brought me back. I have fond memories of Newcastle from working up there a few years ago. And they certainly know how to party in the Toon..

Young at Heart said...

fabulous....I'm in!!x

HippieGirl said...

Your photos keep mkaing me want to visit the country you live in even more and more!! That tears it, I'm saving up to come visit where you live!!

topchelseagirl said...

You party animal! It definitely looks worth a visit, but its so far away.

Lisa said...

Wow that photo of Grey Street is so lovely, somewhere else I have never been anywhere near and now want to visit! Loving the feather boa look!
Lisa x

lovethosecupcakes said...

Fab city and not too far away from here. My boy is moving there (he's doing a masters degree at the uni)in a couple of weeks. Guess who's going to be a regular visitor!!!!!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post. I would have love to visit that place. It looks like an interesting city to explore. Its just disappointing that I'm from the other side of the world. Its expensive to travel that far.
online pet store

nilly said...

Geordies are quite rightly proud of their "capital city". When you go again try to take in the Laing Gallery and the wonderful Baltic Gallery, over the river in Gateshead.

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Wow - didn't know Newcastle was like that! And I have so many geordie relatives too, but from Gateshead. Maybe will give it a whirl for a future city break in the Winter! xCathy

Gilly said...

Obviously a good time was had by all! You must go back and walk along the river, the bridges are fantastic. And cross over and go to Baltic!

The Girl said...

I completely fell in love with Newcastle when I visited with the boyfriend a couple of years ago. Been gagging to go back ever since!

The Curious Cat said...

I'd like to go one day - I always go past it on the train to Edinburgh! It looks cool - really interesting to look at your photos! :) Thanks! xxx

Lyn said...

I went over 20 years ago but think it looks great on your post. love that last photo mrs!
xxx

Unknown said...

Great photos, Diane. That arcade - Wow!
My good friend, and Violet's Godmother, lived there for many years, and she's always telling me how fantastic it is (think she secretly wants to move back). According to her, Tynemouth and Whitley Bay are also worth a visit. x