Tuesday 14 December 2010

Chatsworth Gardens in winter



The gardens at Chatsworth are truly spectacular whatever season, but wandering around in the snow - which I had never done before - was very special (if not a little treacherous in parts!).


Although a lot of the snow and ice had gone, not all of it had, and the cascades of ice looked brilliant.

I couldn't resist taking a shot of the leaves on the snow.

We didn't go in the maze - it looked too slippy underfoot.

I thought that this was a perfect shape for a Christmas tree.

Not many people were about and it felt a privilege to be able to see the garden at this time of year. The Estate has only remained open until Christmas since the last "Foot and Mouth " Epidemic - which I presume affected their income a great deal. That was the first year that they opened the house at Christmas. I bet they were amazed at the revenue it generated!



All of the ponds and lakes were still frozen over.



From a distance, and with my fading eye sight, I thought that people were actually splashing around in the Cascade!




The colour - or lack of it - in this photo is quite striking - very steel like grey.


16 comments:

BadPenny said...

Fantastic - would love to visit.

A garden just outside Venice said...

Thank you for risking your skin for showing us these amazing gardens!
xxxxx

Vintage Tea Time said...

Fab photos - looks a really interesting place - thanks!

Louise said...

Your photos are just beautiful. I love the leaves on snow picture. I'm feeling a little bit jealous now that I went when the gardens were all closed! Knowing there was painting etc to be done, I wanted to go sooner rather than later to make sure I didn't waste my voucher but I'm regretting it a little bit now!

At least I got to see it through your photos, thanks for sharing them! Oh and thanks for your comment earlier too :)

Rebecca said...

Great photos, one of my must places, especially the cascade, but not too sure about the sculptures on the cascade x

Kathy said...

Chatsworth gardens are wonderful throughout the year ... I've never seen them in snow before. Thanks for sharing! Love the leaves on the snow!
xxx

cieldequimper said...

Thanks for putting me back on the right track!

Who says gardens in the winter aren't beautiful? I just love the leaves shot and the two last ones with the house in the distance.

Diane said...

Thanks for the winter tour. Getting lost in the maze in winter may not be a good idea!! Diane

periwinkle said...

i like the leaves on the snow pic too , it all looks a bit like a winter wonderland

Jackie, Erik, Jake, Drew said...

What fabulous pictures, you truly have a talent and I always look forward to seeing what you put on your daily blog. I especially love the last photo I think the owners of the estate would be very interested to see them. xx

cottonreel said...

Beautiful pics, Diane . Ihave browsed your blog again and visited other sites on your blog list.
Stuff you have done for christmas has chivied me along . the felt stuff and other things,lovely--cottonreel

cottage garden farmer said...

What lovely pictures, I used to visit chatsworth regularly when i lived in sheffield, but I have to say I prefer it a little further south from the gardening/climate point of view!

jennyfreckles said...

It's beautiful in any weather - So long since I visited, I must go again.

diane b said...

It is amazing how different seasons change the beauty of gardens. These are lovely shots of something different for me.

Rosie said...

Lovely atmospheric photos, Diane - I love the contrast with the colour inside. Those little people on the cascade are interesting. Thanks for the tour:)

Jo said...

The snow makes everything look so pretty in the depths of winter, but it can also make things look quite different too. The cascades of ice look fab.