Wednesday 6 May 2009

The Deer Shelter.




The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is a full day out (and some). A small selection of the exhibits are inside, some are in the park itself, and some are in the Country Park at the side. One of my favorite bits is the deer shelter. It was once (as you can guess) a deer shelter, but they tasked James Turrell to turn it into a magnificent "sky space". Its wonderful and very surreal to sit inside the building looking up through the open square in the roof and see the clouds, or sun or rain. It gets a bit busy sometimes, but on a quiet day, its great to just sit here and clear your mind. Then walk back up the hill to the excellent cafe. You can read all about it here:

His exhibition of sculpture in "light" in 2006 was out of this world. If you ever get chance to see any of his work, you wont be disappointed.

8 comments:

Lyn said...

We went to see the Andy Goldsworthy sculptures there a couple of years ago. I really like the sculpture park.
Love
Lyn
xxx
PS have you watched Yanks yet?

walter and me said...

The change in comments is perfect, now works for me! Love that skylight, in fact I just love looking up at the sky!

Diane said...

Lynn -The Andrew Goldsworty exhibition was stunning. The "curtain" made from blackthorns and sycamore leaf stalks must have killed his fingers! The giant sized upside down birds nest was immense.
Pebbledash - Woohoo!! So glad you can comment. One of our family's favorite pasttimes is lying on a beach identifying shapes in the clouds.

BusyLizzie said...

Hi Diane
thank you for visiting my blog, you are so right about France!!! I just love it there!!
Lizzie x

Rosie said...

It looks wonderful, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park is definitely on my 'have to visit' list - the Deer Shelter looks intriguing, I can see how it would be best experienced on your own in peace and quiet.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am hosting a book swap over on my blog. It is a permanent feature, which will always be on my blog, it is not a one off, like the rose theme swap I'm hosting. I have listed a load of my books which I am willing to swap, take a look, there may be some you fancy. If you would like to list books which you no longer want, and are willing to swap, just contact me at rosehyacinth@hotmail.co.uk, or leave a comment on my blog, with your name, the name of your blog and the books you wish to swap, and I will type them up and post them on the swap page, so the more and more people who participate, the wider the range of books there will be to choose from, and remember, it will always be there on my blog.
Take Care
Love Melanie xxx

Lisa said...

You do get out to some fab places.
Lisa

sTreEt daNceR said...

mum my bum looks rather big in that photo, its very unflattering :( haha. Oh by the way my photo blog is...
www.beckytography.blogspot.com :)
(i think they might all figure out my name but its only my first one :D)
xxxx